Monday, August 28, 2006

Monday, August 28, 2006

Dutty Wine

When I first saw this link, I didn’t quite understand what they were talking about. But, never fear my friends, I did the research and am now perfectly prepared to tell you about the Dutty Wine Dance.

There is a Jamaican rapper who wrote a song entitled “Dutty Wine”. To the best that I can decipher dutty should translate to dirty. The basis of the song is that he is poor and can only afford dutty wine that gets him very….um…inebriated. Apparently it also gets the women he is with very drunk as well and this is the dance they do for him while drinking it.

The middle class is in an uproar. All their little girls are doing the 'Dutty Wine'.
From left, right and centre, even disabled children, everybody is doing the 'Dutty Wine'.


Disabled children? Did they really go there?

Not wishing in any way to detract from the suggestive nature of the dance, I must point out that it is impossible to do it without long tresses. If you can't get your hair to swing round and round your head while you get down on all fours on the ground, you're not doing the 'Dutty Wine'. It requires supreme flexibility. Consequently, there's not a child who hasn't been stopped from doing it by a parent in the last few months

OK, why are CHILDREN in Jamaica doing this dance. I mean, it sure doesn’t sound like the hokey pokey to me.

The ones I feel sorry for are the disabled children. They don't have legs, so it's perfect for them. They can wine their little hearts out. But even when they do it, it's suggestive if not more so. All the adults hurriedly put a stop to it. Poor little children.

LOL! OMG, did I read that right? Why do they keep picking on the disabled kids? Are there just tons of disabled kids sitting around in Jamaica waiting to do a dance?

What’s worse is that I went on You Tube to see what it was all about and when I searched Dutty Wine I got like 50 million results. Here is one of the first ones I found but the most important question is …How in the hell could a disabled child do this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lv4_EqjmOUk

http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20060827/cleisure/cleisure3.html


Enjoy!

PS-New season of Weeds has begun. Best show on TV. Check it out.

Cheers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home